Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Thrill of the Hunt (Cheap Chick)

That cheap chick would be me. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a patron of such high-end boutiques as the Sally Anne, Value Village, and any garage sale, flea market or consignment store within a five-hundred mile radius. This may seem a little out of place on a blog that claims to cover fashion, since fashion tends to be synonymous with chi-chi designers and the types of retail stores where the clerks glare contemptuously at you for daring to enter into their midst and the clothes seem designed to fit anyone between Paris Hilton and Ashley Olson size.

So…where am I going with this? It’s not really about the cheap – I do well enough for myself to be a patron of Banana Republic, and I am. But there’s just something about the thrill of the hunt when you walk through the doors of a second-hand store into that alluring aroma of mothballs and potpourri. It’s a strange, electric feeling of undiscovered possibilities, of hidden treasures just waiting to be pulled from their hiding places, crammed between hideous gold lame tube tops and frumpy corduroy jumpers and acid-washed jean jackets with bedazzled pockets.

As you run your hand down the fabric, your heart beats faster – what is this? Silk? Its pattern is unique and the garment is well-made, with no signs of rips or stains. Probably discarded by some callous fashionista whose tastes run towards the trendy and the du moment when this particular piece fell from fashion grace. But it’s beautiful and different and new, to you. It’s truly one-of-a-kind, since stacks of it aren’t available at your nearest mall.

My heart swells with pride when I think of some of my greatest thrift store finds. Here are a few of my faves:


A gauzy knee-length skirt in a rich jewel tone perfect for Fall


This heavy wool skirt is perfect with boots on a chilly Fall day


I found this skirt at the Sally Anne. It's 100% silk and flows beautifully...it's like wearing air!


A deep chocolate brown, this butter-soft leather A-line skirt has fabulous texture and structure - all for under 10$!


This blouse is pure, fluid silk - it's so light, cool and beautiful.


I snagged both the cardigan and the tee at the Salvation Army! I love the tee's vibrant colours and its unique, almost Art Deco botanical pattern


I found this blazer at Value Village for a few bucks - it was in perfect condition, fit me perfectly, and its bright, unorthodox colour really brings any outfit to life.

Let's not forget accessories! If you can get past the prospect of sticking your tootsies in someone else's hand-me-down pumps, there's a wealth of well-made shoes with unique details out there. Here are two of my faves:


I snagged these snake-print, strappy leather pumps at the Salvation Army for 2$!


Another thrift-store find! These leather and suede pumps are the epitome of 40's style.



And here's a beautifully embroidered belt with a carved wooden buckle that I picked up at a flea market. Its combination of warm tones and rich neutrals makes it the perfect belt for Fall.


The crowning glory of my second-hand treasures - a 40's-style dress with a flowing, flirty skirt, spaghetti straps that tie in little bows at the shoulders, and butterflies and flowers embroidered like a resplendent Spring garden across the skirt and bodice. Another Value Village find - cost? 10 bucks!

My point? I encourage you to go treasure hunting! Potential troves like Value Village and Salvation Army are too often stigmatized as repositories of hideous 80's shoulder-padded abominations and moth-eaten grandma sweaters.

In reality, they're realms of endless creativity and possibility...they offer you a chance to bring colour and individuality to your wardrobe. So go check'em out, and when you ring up your latest fashion finds at the Salvation Army, you'll also be contributing to a great cause!
Cheers, from the cheap chick!

No comments: